Children develop in individual ways and at varying rates and that is why at Clementswood nursery we offer a settling in procedure that is flexible to meet those needs. Friendships and relationships are an important part of a child’s development. We want your child to feel happy and safe, some children settle quickly and easily into nursery life but some children find the experience of leaving their parents distressing. Your Room Leader will work with you to decide how to help you and your child to settle in, this is negotiated on an individual basis depending on the child/parent/carers requirements.
Your child will allocated a key person. A key person has a special responsibility for working with small number of children, giving them the reassurance to feel safe and cared for, building professional relationships with the parents. Key person is also responsible for keeping you informed of your child’s development progress through observation and planning. A second key person is provided for children so that when the main key person in unavailable there is a familiar and trusted person who knows the child well. Parents are asked to complete registration forms and ‘All about me’ sheets, for the adults to get to know and help the child to settle more easily. We respect that parents/carers and children may feel anxiety when starting a new setting therefore we try to make this period smooth as possible. We do this by making sure that every child settles for a two-week period. Parents and carers will need to be available to stay with their child during this time. For the first three days we ask you to stay and play with your child. You can expect to be in nursery for an hour. During this time, you will be able to have a chat about your child with the key person. On day three your key person may ask you to leave for 10-15 minutes to gauge the reactions of your child. During days 4-10 your key person will advise you how long they need you to stay with your child and how long your child will be in the nursery for. By day 10 you can expect your child to be in the setting from 9am until 4pm in the afternoon. However, if we feel your child is not ready to start nursery we may consider a third week of settling. Your key person will advise you for this.
Please see below for an outline of the procedure
- Arrive at 9:30 am to stay and play with your child until 10.30 am.
- During this time, you will be expected to complete our ‘All about me’ sheet.
- Arrive at 9:30am to stay and play with your child until 10:30.
- Arrive at 9:30 play with your child until 10:30.
- Your key person will join in with your child’s play for 10 minutes.
- Arrive at 10.00 stay and have snack with Your child.
- Leave Your child after 30 minutes.
- Arrive at 9.30 play with your child for 15 minutes.
- Your child will Have lunch with us, you will be asked to collect them at 11.30.
- Arrive at 9.00am and join in circle time with your child, settle them in, your key person will advise you of a time to return and collect.
- Arrive at 2.00 pm and stay with your child for short period of time. Your child will have tea with us. Collect your child at 4.30.
- Same as above.
- Key person will ask you to collect them at 5.00pm.
- Arrive at 9.00am and join in circle time with your child.
- Leave your child, they will have tea with us, collect your child at 3.30pm.
- Arrive at 8.30 for breakfast.
- Leave your child, they will have tea with us, collect your child at 4pm.
You must be contactable throughout the settling procedure, should your child become distressed we will call you to come and stay at the nursery with them.